From the Faculty Handbook:
- FACULTY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Faculty development refers to the development of the individual faculty member through the acquisition of knowledge, the refinement of skills and techniques, the enhancement of sensitivities, and the broadening of perspectives as these relate to teaching and learning.
Both the Board of Regents and The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools have recognized that faculty development at all academic levels is of major importance to all collegiate institutions. They require that the relationship between faculty objectives and institutional purposes determine in large measure the effectiveness of the total educational program. They expect the institutional environment to encourage individual faculty members to take the initiative in identifying and meeting their own professional growth needs.
The Academic Advisory Council of the University System of Georgia has approved a basic principle on faculty development, which states that: "Faculty development is the basic responsibility of the individual faculty member. The institution and the System share in this responsibility by encouraging, assisting, and supporting this effort. Paramount to the involvement of the institution and the System is the creation of an environment conducive to faculty development." Darton College supports this philosophy and is prepared to provide financial assistance, within the limits of funds available and University System fiscal policy. The Darton College Foundation also provides financial assistance for professional development.
Faculty development has been defined by the Advisory Council as: "The professional and personal growth of the individual in his or her area of specialization or complementary area, instructional skills, service to the institution, and service to the community, leading to an increased contribution to the goals and objectives of the institution as well as those of the individual."
From the Classified Employee Manual (Staff Handbook):
- SUPPORTING FACULTY DEVELOPMENT IN ORDER TO ENCOURAGE INSTRUCTIONAL EXCELLENCE, SCHOLARLY ADVANCEMENT, AND CREATIVE ACTIVITIES:
- Darton College will promote and support scholarly and creative activities that encourage enhanced instructional effectiveness and professional development.
- Darton College will promote and support faculty engagement in community service, academic research, and participation on System committees and activities.
- Darton College will promote and support faculty participation in international studies and activities, as well as the expansion of the College's global center.